Ten years ago today, J Dilla celebrated his 32nd birthday by releasing Donuts, an album produced entirely from his hospital bed. Three days later, he died.
He and a few other tragically early losses in the hip-hop world, plus those in our families, inspired the last radio show I hosted. When I was home in California for the holidays, I signed up to sub a Christmas Eve slot on KDVS, and it felt a fitting hour to honor those no longer celebrating and creating.
In this episode, you’ll hear tributes to J Dilla, Nujabes, and Gang Starr, a song for our mother, a song for your father, and more.
One week into the fall semester seems like a good time to start getting nostalgic about summer. I got inspired by Teddy Briggs’ Appetite Summer Mix and puzzled together a few of the songs I’ve been jamming the most lately. They’re not all new, and they’re not all underground, but this is my summer soundtrack:
1. Germany Germany – “Too Much to Say” (mix download)
2. Carmen McCrae (GB remix) – “Just a Little Lovin'”
3. ALAK (Patten remix) – “My Love Is the Best” (download)
4. Michael RJ Saalman – “Phaser Crane” (video)
5. TV Girl – “Baby You Were There” (mix download)
6. J Dilla – “So Far to Go” (instrumental)
7. Appetite – “Tussy” (video)
8. ALPS – “I Get So High” (stream)
9. Why? – “Simeon’s Dilemma”
10. Motorbikes – “Shapely Iceberg” (blog)
11. Stephen Steinbrink – “It’s Home – Make My Nest” (blog)
If I were making this mixtape for you, these are the notes I would write: Continue reading